Monday, February 26, 2007

Spring Break

Those two wonderful words elicit feelings of relaxation, vacation, and usually drunken debauchery. However, this Spring Break will be my last in the college world. And I'm not doing what everyone else is.

Daytona Beach, Cancun, South Padre Island, and the Bahamas are the destinations I have been hearing most from my friends. It would be awesome to go down there and drink my kidneys into failure, but not this year. This year, I'm blazing a trail on my own in a direction I won't know until I'm there. It begins on Friday when myself and a friend are going to hike the Appalachian Trail until Monday, and fish whenever we run into a stream that looks worthy. But which ones don't?

Then I'm out on my own. The rest of the week I will camp and fish by myself whenever I want, and wherever I want. There are a few choice rivers in Virginia I will look to make it to, but nothing is set in stone. I've got my Virginia Atlas, my truck, and my peace of mind to lead me down the road. I know March is not the most ideal month for fishing, but fishing is more ideal than doing anything else in any other month. I want to get into some Brookies in a mountain stream, and if I get to a tailwater with willing Rainbows and Browns then all the better. I'll be satisfied wherever I am, and the best thing is my expectations will be low because conditions are less than ideal. With Jim Beam in my flask, I will never be lonely, so I'm off in a week to do something different. I won't be following the pack like a group of lemmings heading for the cliff.

My pack is a group of two at the beginning, and then becomes one. Anything can happen, and I hope surprises come about. It's time for me to be by myself in the places that revive my spirit. Just me and the fish (and Jim Beam). It's go time.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Good luck with the trip - sounds perfect

Double Haul said...

thanks. i'll obviously be updating throughout if i can get to a computer.

Tom Chandler said...

I'll be taking a trip to the Smokies in early May, and spending three nights alone in the backcountry (well, hopefully alone).

Beautiful country back there.

Good luck!
Tom Chandler
The Trout Underground