Saturday, February 24, 2007

Rugby and Flyfishing


Yesterday I got a private message on The Drake from a guy who saw my profile which lists rugby as one of my interests. He said he was a rugger as well. I was surprised to hear of another rugby player who also flyfishes. Anyone else out there?

It's a bit of a different sport. Actually, it's completely different. Are there any similarities? They are both dominated by men for certain. I know one difference. I played a rugby match today, and now I am all cut up and sore as shit. Unless I went hiking 5 miles and fell down a ravine, I don't think I've ever felt like that while flyfishing. Rugby allows me to get out my aggression and flyfishing allows me to relax. Two things I desperately need, and I know I'm not the only one. Saturday is a rugby day, and I try my best to kill people on the pitch as best I can. Sunday is a flyfishing day and I try my best to forget everything else in the world. I'm glad I have both because without either I think I would go insane. It's a great balance. Think about finding something to balance you out other than flyfishing. Perhaps your job does that for you because you hate it so much and maybe even get to yell at people. Sweet.


I will always need to flyfish, because it's my life, and I will always need to play rugby because if I didn't, I would probably be in jail or anger management.

2 comments:

Sir Jackson said...

agreed. You are hanging by a thread.

Unknown said...

Check out flyforums.co.uk - lots of Rugby mad fly fishers over here